According to Schools of the Town of Marlborough, “In 1888, because of crowded conditions, the community strongly felt the need of a new school. After careful deliberation, the property on the northeast corner of Grand and Church Streets was purchased from Matthew Berean.” The school was “first opened in December of 1888” and was located where the Marlboro Fire House stands today. The Marlboro Free Library began in this school, occupying it from 1911 to 1913 before relocating back again after the Marlboro Methodist Church fire of 1915. By 1936, the building was no longer used as a school and it became the Hudson River Fruit Exchange. The postcard of the school was published by J. Ruben of Newburgh. The photo showing the building as the Fruit Exchange was donated by J. Pizzo. Information gathered from Images of America: Marlborough.
July 24th, Programs begin promptly at 1:00pm and are free to the public, unless otherwise stated.
PRESENTATION: J. STEPHEN CASSCLES, author. A History of Fruit Growing in the Mid-Hudson Valley and Local Breeding of New Varieties of Grapes, Raspberries, and Strawberries. Wine tasting, book signing.
Visit the Gomez Mill House website for more details at http://gomez.org