According to a 1911 Marlborough Record newspaper article titled, Full Program For Old Home Week, Marlborough hosted a “festival parade, consisting of a horse troop, fire companies, school children, orders and floats depicting ‘The Year of Fruits,’ and decorated wagons and automobiles. [The parade formed] on South 9w, moved to Western Avenue and Grand Street, to Whitney Place, to West Street, to Western Avenue, to King Street, to 9w, to the reviewing stand at Rooma Villa. The music [was provided] by the Advance Lodge Band and the Walden and Highland Drum Corps.” Postcard is from the Badner Collection.
Archive for April, 2012
A 1797 map of Marlborough shows markings for the locations of Smith’s Mill, Buttermilk Falls, and Smith’s store along the Hudson River in Milton. In Woolsey’s The History of the Town Of Marlborough it is stated, “Leonard Smith and his son, Anning Smith, built the Smith pond, a mile above where the Mary Powell dock [was] at Milton. They started a woolen factory, and a saw and grist mill, which were in existence many years. They also had a store there, and it was quite an active place.”
This branch of Odd Fellows once met in the Hartshorn Building, which is the present day Pizza Town Building on Route 9W in the village of Marlboro. While watching American Pickers this weekend on the History Channel, I learned a little bit more about how the Odd Fellows started and how they got their name. They would perform charitable acts for people in need, like for example leaving a basket of food on the steps of the home of a poor family. When someone would inquire as to who left the basket of food, the response was something like, “that group of odd fellows.”
According to the website for The Sovereign Grand Lodge Independant Order Of Odd Fellows, “The Independent Order of Odd Fellows began in 18th Century England, it was deemed odd to find people organized for the purpose of giving aid to those in need without recognition and pursuing projects for the benefits of all mankind.”
Marlboro once had a group of Odd Fellows called the Advance Lodge no. 490 that was instituted on January 18, 1882. They would meet Wednesday evenings in the Odd Fellow’s Hall in the Hartshorn Building.