Archive for the ‘Marlborough’ Category

h1

Marlboro Free Library Sign that once hung above the door at the old King Street Location

August 1, 2017

A big thank you to James Bellisimo for donating this old sign to our library. It was the old library sign that hung above the library’s front door when the library was at it’s King Street location. The Marlboro Free Library was located on King Street from 1921-1977. He also donated the old library key!

h1

Marlboro Free Library History Exhibit from 2011

May 30, 2017

http://omeka.hrvh.org/exhibits/show/marlborolibrary

h1

Marlborough Historical Society Meetings

December 28, 2016

The Marlborough, NY Historical Society Meetings will be the 4th Sunday of the Month at 2pm at the Milton-On-Hudson-Train Station.

h1

*Get your Holiday cards in the mail*

December 14, 2016

SCAN0226

Christmas display at the Marlboro Post Office December 1957.

Vintage Holiday cards make cute gifts!

h1

Collection of Marlborough postcards

November 3, 2016

postcards
This collection of postcards dated 1910 and earlier were donated by the City of Newburgh Historian’s office to our library.

h1

This week’s local history post is a spotlight on this local church celebrating it’s 125th Anniversary this year!

November 3, 2016

roseton-church

h1

The Marlboro Union Free School and the Hudson River Fruit Exchange

August 16, 2016

According to Schools of the Town of Marlborough, “In 1888, because of crowded conditions, the community strongly felt the need of a new school. After careful deliberation, the property on the northeast corner of Grand and Church Streets was purchased from Matthew Berean.” The school was “first opened in December of 1888” and was located where the Marlboro Fire House stands today. The Marlboro Free Library began in this school, occupying it from 1911 to 1913 before relocating back again after the Marlboro Methodist Church fire of 1915. By 1936, the building was no longer used as a school and it became the Hudson River Fruit Exchange. The postcard of the school was published by J. Ruben of Newburgh. The photo showing the building as the Fruit Exchange was donated by J. Pizzo. Information gathered from Images of America: Marlborough.Hudson River Fruit ExchangeMarlboro School